- Each year, more than one billion, five hundred million (1,500,000,000) refundable 5¢ containers are sold in Québec.
- Thanks to the deposit system, BGE and its partners are able to recover more than one billion (1,000,000,000) containers, or approximately 67% of the containers sold .
- In addition to this billon containers refunded, there are also one hundred million (100 000 000) refundable 5¢ containers recovered through the curbside system without being returned to us for the reimbursement of the deposit. This represents approximately 7% of the containers sold.
- Thus, approximately 74% of all refundable 5¢ containers are recovered annually in the province. That’s not bad at all!
- Thus, approximately 74% of all refundable 5¢ containers are recovered annually in the province. That’s not bad at all!.
Several tones of recyclable materials pointlessly occupy landfill sites, or pollute our cities, forests, lakes, and rivers. Did you know that one plastic bottle can take as long as 400 years to decompose? Furthermore, it takes between 200 and 500 years for an aluminum can to decompose, and thousands of years for a glass bottle.